A message from our Crisis Shelter program manager, Melanie Gunther.
How you can help
Please follow us on social media for updates about the types of donations we need.
Immediate COVID-19 related needs
Lysol or disinfecting spray
About donation drop off
We appreciate the generosity of our donors. While we are working with limited staff on site, we request you schedule a drop off time for your donations. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you are coming. Please do not drop donations off at the crisis shelter.
COVID-19: Huckleberry House’s Response and Plan
Huckleberry House is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our young people and adults alike. Our team is monitoring information from the CDC, Ohio Department of Health and other health related organizations to stay on top of developments related to COVID-19.
We appreciate the efforts underway in Ohio to contain COVID-19 and are following the recommendations of health experts in regard to all our operations. We are taking steps to prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19.
- In our shelter, we are screening youth as they enter the shelter, including taking temperatures. We are have prepared separate spaces in case youth in the shelter become symptomatic.
- At our housing program, we are asking young people to stay in their apartments. Our dedicated staff will deliver items they need and be available for consultation and case management by phone.
- In our counseling program, we have moved to a teletherapy model so meetings can be held virtually rather than in-person.
- For those served by our Youth Outreach Program, our coordinated access and rapid resolution specialists will continue serving young people on housing lists. However, they will interact remotely as much as possible.
- Our administration offices are closed to the public until further notice. Please email or call the person you need to reach. Our contact us page also has contact forms you can use to reach us.
- While we are working with limited staff on site, we request that donors schedule a drop off time. Please email email@example.com. All donations should be dropped off at Carriage House on Hamlet Street. Please do not drop donations off at the crisis shelter.
- All volunteer activities have been canceled until further notice.
Our staff is being flexible and patient as we navigate the weeks ahead. We are working to maintain an environment that serves youth while also preventing the spread of COVID-19. In practice, this means we have written policies that allow staff to do their jobs and care for themselves and their families as needed.
If you have questions about our plans, contact the administration team at (614) 294-8097.
Youth and parents who need help now, including talking about the stress caused by the unfamiliar experiences COVID-19 is causing, please call the crisis line at (614) 294-5553.