https://www.huckhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/OnOurSleeves.jpg 270 406 Victoria Alesi https://www.huckhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Huckleberry-Art-300x273.jpg Victoria Alesi2019-08-01 14:21:362019-08-01 14:24:41Back-to-School Mental Health Checklist
Changing schedules. Supply lists. Forms to fill out. New teachers to meet. Heading back to school can be exciting, yet stressful.
- Get back into a routine. About 1-2 weeks before school starts, gradually (15 minutes each day) move your child’s bedtime and wake up time back to what they will be during the school year.
- Visit your doctor. Make sure your vaccine records and sports physicals are up to date!
- Review any changes from last year. Does your child have a new bus stop? Are they going to a new school? Walk to the new bus stop and attend an open house so they are ready.
- Get organized. Print and post school and extracurricular activity calendars so you don’t miss any important dates.
- Talk about expectations – yours and your child’s. Ask your child what their goals are for the school year. Is your rule that homework be done before screen time? Remind them.
- Plan for healthy meals and snacks. Involve your child in the process so they learn how to make healthy food choices.
- Schedule child care. Are you a working parent and need before and/or after school care? Make arrangements now.
- Sign up for fall sports and other after school activities. Research shows that getting kids involved in activities after school creates a sense of belonging and self-worth. Remember to maintain balance between family time, school and other activities.
- Meet teachers, coaches and program leaders. Introduce yourself to teachers, coaches and anyone else who will spend time with your child this year. Let them know the best way to reach you and share any important details about your child.
- Have a last hurrah. Go see that movie you didn’t have time to see this summer, take a family bike ride or visit a local attraction like a park, museum or zoo.
To view more back to school resources or to learn more about On Our Sleeves visit HERE.